I started this project by searching for the meaning of 10 words as a biggining of the project. Then I looked for some comic books examples to get some ideas before starting.
- Irony: the expression of one’s meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
- Metaphor:a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
- Personification: the attribution of a personal nature or human characteristics to something non-human, or the representation of an abstract quality in human form.
- Cliche: a phrase or opinion that is overused and betrays a lack of original thought.
- Vernacular: he language or dialect spoken by the ordinary people of a country or region.
- Pun: a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words which sound alike but have different meanings.
- Oxymoron: a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction.
- Simile: a figure of speech involving the comparison of one thing with another thing of a different kind.
- Metonym: a word, name, or expression used as a substitute for something else with which it is closely associated.
- Satire: the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people’s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
On the next class I started sketching my ideas for the comic book, which will be talking about a batola which takes you to the past when wearing it.
On Wednesday at class we set as groups and tell our story and show the story board. I had some critique from the girls and had to adjust the story board to have it more clear.
The story board helped me a lot to improve my store and to figure out the spots that I am missing in the story so I worked on it and tried my best to improve it to make it more sense.
Before starting build the comic book up a thought came up to my mind “how to tell a story”. story telling can be told by color, illustration style/ photography, frames-variety and editing sequence.
After that I started working on the comic book and this when an idea came up to make a comic book that contains pictures and digital design combined with drawing and different materials. I started collecting and creating digital drawing and start building my comic book.
Having a week off on the rainy week helped me to work harder on the book but at the same time I got lost but I figured my way back on truck.
I was working on illustrator to make the comic book which I had an issue with stretching and placing the picture in the right position.
The fist design was a mess I thought that Law and Leland gonna kill me because of the stretching. Then I started again with different illustration.
I had some pictures which was missing and I had to go and take more pictures.
At the begging I was using illustrator but then on the next class when Law and Leland mentions indesign and I tried using it it was much easier to do the book.
I continued using indesign and build my book from the beginning.
After finishing from building the story I started making the cover. I did 4 prototypes for the front cover and applied the one that I found more interesting.
I choose the last prototype for my cover, I want to combine pop art with khaliji style. I started then to apply the yellow boarder for the rest of the pages.
This was the first cover that I did when I printed the cover I found out that the batolla in pixelated, so I draw a batolla in illustrator and used the one that I had draw.
Then I decided to do the back cover the same as the front.
After that I had to print my comic book and have it ready for next class, I had come issues printing it at the beginning I had my page in A3 and print it in A5 with was wrong but then I asked one of the juniors and then she helped me out I adjust the size made it A4 and print each 2 in one side. Then after that I faced another issue, I want to print them front and back but it keeps printing them in one size and lethally I printed more than 15 times until I get it right I figured that while printing I have to have it two-sides and short-edge binding to print it right.
After finishing printing I started coloring in the comic book and used natural sand to have it more realistic.
Then I sew the papers together, I saw it with haulm thread as it is part of the culture.
This was my final comic book after the final editing which I am proud of and had a lot of fun making it.